Sunday, April 15, 2018

Entry 4: Reflection

            My understanding of learning of an additional language has changed drastically from the beginning of the course to the end of the semester. When teaching English Language Learners, teachers must have all aspects of individual ELL students taken into account. It is highly important to know more about them personally as to create lessons that will allow students to make real-life connections to the topic and thus become engaged to learn. If lessons do not incorporate anything that is relevant to that student, their willingness to learn would be hindered. Furthermore, it will be beneficial to ELL students for teachers to have a grasp of students' ethnics, home language, and culture. Teachers can even further research information that can, “explain some of the student’s behaviors in class and suggest things the teacher can do to be sensitive to his or her culture and incorporate aspects of that culture into the classroom” (Wright, 2015, p. 24). As a future educator, I need to be aware of their individual differences in order to create activities that help ELLS further develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English. Some activities that can be included within classrooms are listening centers, oral presentations, read-alouds, and modeled writing. According to Wright (2015), it would be best not to limit to one activity because, "no one method or approach is applicable to every language classroom" and "the context of the classroom and the needs of the students should be the starting point, rather than the method itself” (p. 64). Even in my own classroom in the field, my MT and I ensure to have different methods in place, all that pertains to the ELL students.
            All of the newfound information I learned will be used to make my professional practice much more suitable for ELLs. There were some promising strategies I had acquired that I would like to incorporate into my classroom as well. Unlike the previous course I have taken in Second Language Acquisition, I felt like this class was more in-depth in the ways of teaching the ELL students. For one, I have learned that there are different bilingual or English-medium programs available for ELLs and that it allows us to compare and, “determine which are the most effective for ELLs and which are the most appropriate for a particular school or community” (Wright, 2015, p. 96). Depending on their needs and how much their English Language Proficiency is can help determine the best program for that particular student. I was able to learn more about how to classify and rank the students on the ELP scale and figure out where they are and what they need to help them do better. Also, when it comes to helping students improve in the reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I have been able to experience what it looks like in my own fieldwork. My MT on lesson plans labels the different activities in the 5E Science Lesson. For instance, she would write that a certain part of the lesson highlights the reading/speaking aspect for ELLs. It has made me think more profundity about how I plan my own lessons for teaching in my own classroom.
When it comes to the aspects of the class and what should receive more attention in future courses, I believe that we should talk more about assessment and how to assess English Language Learners. This is something that is highly important to think about in order to check student’s understanding without overwhelming them with questions. Especially when it comes to high-stakes testing which according to Wright, “they provide one piece of evidence about what students know and do” (2015, p. 144). We should emphasize how important multiple measures are for ELLs and how authentic assessments, “enable teachers to track the student’s progress and growth during the school year” (Wright, 2015, p. 144). It would make sense as to why authentic assessments are more reliable than an high-stakes test, with how they are closely matched to what they learned in the classroom.
Through the use of our blogs, I was able to gain more insight on useful strategies and activities that can be used to help teach ELLs. I took notes of different implementations that the students I watched had discussed in their blog entries. It was fascinating learning how different districts teach their ELLs compared to my own district. I felt like I learned a lot from my peers and I believe that it is the most effective way to learn. This student-centered activity made learning more fun, especially getting to learn it from other future educators. I felt that it was also more engaging than just having us read from our textbook, as it gives us a different way to learn the information presented throughout the course.




10 comments:

  1. Jessica, I loved this reflection! I agree, the most important thing we can do as an educator is get to know our students, understand their differences, and accommodate our classroom for them. It is crucial for the advancement of our ELL students to differentiate our instruction. You mentioned that you and your mentor teacher create different activities to assess different skills. According to Wright (2015), teachers need to tailor instruction to the unique language and academic needs of each student (pg. 265). Differentiation requires a lot of work and time from the teacher but is so beneficial to our students. It is so great that you have had practice during student teaching that you can incorporate in your own classroom.
    I agree! This blogging assignment is very student centered and allows us to learn from each other and stay in touch with each other throughout our online course. I like blogging too! It's a great place to reflect on our own practices and learning while getting the opportunity to learn more from our peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Farah,
      Thank you for your comment. Yes, differentiation is very important since not all students may learn the same way. All the experience I am gaining through my field placement has helped me immensely with knowing how to teach ELLs. I agree that we are able to reflect through blogging and sharing it with the other student teachers. I’m sure we learned a lot more through this method of learning through blogging. I felt like it made the class more interesting, and as a visual learner, the blogs were great at helping me better understand what we read in our textbooks.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jessica, great blog entry! I definitely agree with your reflection over our Second Language Methodology course. Something that stood out to me about your reflection was the part where you discussed the different bilingual programs available for ELLs. I must agree, I found it shocking that there is a lack of consistency in English language learner terminology. In fact, Wright (2015) explains that, “One major problem we face in the field of language education is inconsistency in how programs for ELLs are labeled in the literature and in practice” (p. 96). However, I agree with you that looking at the different bilingual programs can allow researchers to determine which are the most effective for ELLs. Great blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica!
      Thank you for your kind comment. Very good point you made about the major problem we have! It really is something we need to be aware of when it comes to the different types of programs that are available for ELL students. Having the terms stay consistent benefit the ELLs in figuring out what works best for them. If they were placed in a program that doesn’t pertain to them, they would be struggling when they should already be getting the right help they need.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jessica Lopez,

    Thank you for a great class reflection! I agree with you that teachers should consider all aspects of individuals English Language Learners when teaching English as a second language. Teachers need to create lesson plans and activities that allows ELL to make real-life connections that are relevant in their learning. Consequently, teachers need to personally get to know the uniqueness o each students heritage, culture, and home language. According to Wright (2015), “critical pedagogy emphasizes the need to value students’ home cultures as a strength on which to build” (p. 308). Consequently, it is important for ELL teachers to promote biculturalism in their classrooms. Like you mentioned on your reflection, some students learning can be hindered if teachers don’t include lessons and activities that ELL students can relate to. According to Wright (2015), “effective programs help ELLs become bicultural so they can function well in their home and community environments, as well as in the wider U.S. society” (p. 308).

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla!
      Thank you for your amazing comment. Yes, it is extremely important for us to understand each child on an individual level. We need to build up a relationship with them and get to understand their social backgrounds. You’re right that we need to incorporate biculturalism as well within the classroom. Having students exposed to multiple cultures will help them do well within the classroom environment.

      Delete
  4. Hello Jessica! Thank you for your insight in this blog post! It was very interesting to read what you thought and how this class has helped your understanding of understanding English Language Learners! I really liked when you mentioned that it is very important to know your students individually in order to keep them engaged and learning. It is very important to know how to best support each of our students individually. Wright (2015) mentions the importance of differentiated instruction and how changing our instruction to help students at their individual level can really help them grow and learn (pg. 265). It is a very important thing. I agree with your ideas about the course and the blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alyssa!

      Thank you for your intriguing comment. As always I believe that knowing students on another level, especially to help form a tight-knit student-teacher relationship, is important for that child’s success. You’re the second person to mention differentiated learning and it has to be something that we as educators must do to ensure all of our ELLs are learning in their appropriate ways.

      Delete
  5. Hello Jessica,
    I agree with you in regards to having all aspects of our ELLs students into account. Learning about their home language, their literacies, ELP Level, length and time in the US (Wright, 2015, pg. 23). Can help us know as future educators what they are going through and how to help them. There was so much information that we learned in this class, it was not only informative but it offered insight in what our future classes are going to be like.
    The different activities such as read-aloud, modeled writing, using visuals have all given us the ideas on how to use them as tools for learning. One important thing you mention was assessment, crucial in showing us where our students are and after a few more weeks where they stand. Therefore, having student portfolio assessment can help us know their progress and what areas they need more help in (Wright, 2015, pg. 143). I can now say that ELL students have created in impact in our schools and there are more coming, therefore we should be prepared to offer the best teaching lessons and at the same time make them fun and creative. I hope you do great thing as a future educator!

    References:

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rubi,

      Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I agree with your statement about how the topics we covered in this course were informative and gave us insight to what we need to know for our future classroom. Wonderful how you mentioned portfolio assessment! I want to be able to create a portfolio that showcases student’s work and see how they progressed on throughout the year. I agree that with fun and interesting lessons we can give our ELLs great visual and hands-on activities that meet their needs and keep them thoroughly engaged!

      Delete